House Hunting Guide for students in 4 year courses
House Hunting Guide for students in 4-year courses
This guide is made to help students in 4-year courses find accommodation outside college in their 3rd or final year:
- When to start searching for houses
Halfway through Lent term would be a good time to start thinking about a group of people you would like to live with as well as begin your search for houses. You can start visiting houses you are interested in, either during term time or during Easter break as well. Lots of students sign their contracts during Easter and they hire the house either from June or September onwards. Most contracts last for 12 months so you need think about when you want your hiring period to start.
- The University Accommodation Service http://www.accommodation.cam.ac.uk
This University Department acts as an accommodation office for all Cambridgestudents, and a major part of its work is to help students find a place to live. They are always willing to answer your questions and discuss your property requirements over the phone or by email. If you would like to meet in person, please contact them to make an appointment or call into the office during opening hours. The Accommodation Service has a very complete database of houses and is the best source of information and assistance in your process of finding a house and I strongly recommend you use this service.
The office is open from 9.00 a.m. until 12.45 p.m. and 2p.m. until 4.45 p.m. Monday to Friday, and you are welcome to phone or e-mail without appointment in order to discuss your housing needs or to seek advice. Alternatively, you can register your details with the University Accommodation Service via their website.
- Other sources of Accommodation
- Of course internet access is the best tool in the search for privately rented accommodation. Another good place to start your search is www.cambridgepropertydatabase.co.uk from where you will be able to access full listing of all Estate Agents and Letting Agents in Cambridge, if you are interested in using them.
- In addition you could use newspaper such as:
- Cambridge News, Classified Advertisements
- Cambridge Weekly News, Classified Advertisements
The Cambridge News is published Monday- Saturday around lunch-time. It is a widely used resource so you need to respond quickly to advertisements for accommodation to let. The Thursday edition contains the main Property News in which all Estate Agents advertise. The Weekly News is issued every Thursday.
- Advice by former students
Here I will quote some of the advice I received from current or former students that have already been through the process of house search:
ü “When deciding groups to live in, people should probably consider how they prioritise location, price, and quality. These are the three main differentiators between houses available, and different people place difference emphasis on them, so it’s worth talking about beforehand.”
This is not a comprehensive guide so please let me know of any errors or omissions.